Please answer the following questions with thought and attention.
Due 11/20 @ 11:59pm
1. Describe the life of Harriet Jacobs as a house slave. Be sure to note the fear that was a constant part of her life, the troubles of being pretty, and her relationship with her owner’s wife. Also think about this: Was her life harder, considering what she faced in that home, than if she had been a field hand?
2. Harriet had an affair with a lawyer named Sawyer that resulted in two children being born. Describe her fear for what would become of these children and the ultimate sacrifice she makes for them.
3. Explain religion’s role in slave life and rebellion. Describe the purpose for exposing slaves to Christianity, what they got of out church, have it related to the Nat Turner rebellion and the white response.
4. Solomon Northrop, a free man sold into slavery, is an example of the sickness that profits from cotton and slavery created in America. Tell me what you found most troubling about any of the slave accounts seen tonight.
5. Explain this statement from Thomas Sumner: The American economy is a conspiracy of the “lords of looms and lords of lash.”
6. Why was Harriet Jacobs railroad car ride to New York City a good metaphor for the treatment of blacks in the north?
7. One of the things that always strikes me when I show this video is just how easy it was to be cruel. What was it for you?
8. How did being a mother add heartache and fear to being a slave? As a man or women (depending on your sex) what would have been the greatest indignity for you?