- I asked you to draw an umbrella in our lesson the beginnings of the modern Democratic party. Describe the party’s origins in the Great Depression and how the umbrella applies.
- Barry Goldwater (R) lost — and lost terribly — in the 1964 election. See what I mean…But he was the first Republican to win a Southern state since Reconstruction. Explain the role that events in the 1960s played changing how the South votes.
- What impact has Roe v. Wade had on the Republican party and how Evangelicals/Born-Again Christians vote?
- Describe the group of voters that elected Ronald Reagan and accounted for only 1 Democratic president being elected between 1980 and 2008. The common thought today is that a Republican can no longer win with just these voters. This may not be the case NY Times story on elections and changing demographics Use FiveThirtyEight’s swing-o-matic to determine how well Trump needs to do with white voters to get elected.
- Political cartoons: Choose 1 (felt like we had enough Clinton health cartoons for the week).