I would start by saying you need to look back over the notes taken in class and the points mentioned from the textbook. I will put some terms and questions below the cartoons. Make sure that you understand — and could write on — these items.
Here are some topics that could be on the writing section.
- The media’s role in the decision to declare war on Spain
- The problems that came with the rapid industrialization and expansion of American cities
- Carnegie, Rockefeller and the empires they built
- Immigration during the late 1800s
- Triangle Shirtwaist
There will also be a short number of IDs. These are people, events, etc. that you need to describe.
- City machines, political bosses, William “boss” Tweed
- Social Darwinism
- Gospel of Wealth and Andrew Carnegie
- Jacob Riis “How the Other Half Lives”
- Major labor strikes/clashes: Haymarket Square, Homestead Strike, Pullman Strike (see Zinn excerpt)