Has the Arab Spring Failed?
- What was Arab Spring?
- Describe the events that took place in Egypt beginning in July 2011.
- What was the U.S. response?
- What problems did Egypt’s first democratically elected president face?
Map on pg. 7
- Where did Arab Spring begin?
- Which county has been in the midst of a civil war and is accused of using chemical weapons on its citizens?
Toppling Dictators: pg. 8-9
- What is the largest country in the Arab world?
- Why did the Tunisian fruit vendor set himself on fire?
- Which country removed its unelected president following an uprising? Located in North Africa.
- Who was the Libyan dictator that was toppled with US help?
- Why, after the dictators were removed, did these Arab countries struggle to set up democratic governments?
NY Times: Iconic photos from Vietnam Era
As we start to close out the course, I have one last weekly assignment for you. There are three parts to the assignemt
- Read a chapter of “Lies My Teacher Told Me” about the teaching of Vietnam.
- Look at the photos from the NY Times.
- Analyze the document you were given during class.
- Write a 500-700 word response that summarizes the points made in Lowen’s book and how the documents and photos enrich your understanding of the period.
DUE MONDAY (4-16)
Describe South Africa during and after Apartheid. It should be detailed and use information from multiple sources that we looked at in class. (50pts.)
- Topic sentence: something to the effect that South Africa has undergone a major change since Apartheid ended, but still faces a lot of issues
- Help: Can talk about what it was like during Apartheid and what changed afterward? Didn’t change? Current issues.
- Can include a variety of information from the class
- Write about the past and then transition to present issues
- BONUS: +10pts if it includes topics/information not covered in class.