Part 1: The Bare Arctic – How a Melting Arctic Changes Everything
- Looking at the article and charts, how have temperatures in the Arctic changed in the last 30 years?
- How does less ice make more heat? (This is the section above the total area chart)
- What does the article mean ways the sea ice loss is Putin’s gain?
Part 2: The Political Arctic: How a Melting Arctic Changes Everything
- How many people actually live in the Arctic? What is the largest nationality?
- What does Russia stand to gain in the Arctic?
- What are EEZ’s?
- Look at the animation on “Claimable Land.” Which countries have made claims on the North Pole. Why would these countries want to expand their territorial claims in the region?
- Looking at the map of the Arctic military bases, how do the countries compare
LA Times story (July 2017)
Newsweek story on violence and drug cartels (May 2017)
Starting from the sentence that I give you, describe what the acticles say about Mexico’s ongoing drug war.
“For more than two decades, Mexico has dealt with warring drug cartels that have made it one of the most violent countries in the world.”
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens (.pdf)
I want you to read the chapter on Habit 1: Be Proactive (pgs. 56-76). I want you tell me about this habit, the examples he uses, and how it could apply to your life.
About 1 page, maybe a little more. Not being too specific on this guideline.
Smithsonian Mag: The murder of Rasputin, 100 years later
Writing assignment – paragraph form
Describe Grigori Rasputin’s journey from ordinary peasant to mystic healer. Be sure to cover his close relationship with the Czar and his wife and his murder.