Option 1: Out of the Black Death came the mythology of vampires. Provide a synopsis of information from the sources listed below. Also speculate on the nature of fantasy as an explanation for real events.
Lore Podcast: Episode 30
Requirements: All sources should be cited. Students should devote at least a third of the writing to the second-half of the assignment. This will require a bit of reflection and contemplation — maybe some extra research. I want your thoughts on this questions. Feel free to use hypothetical events and contemporary views. Length of assignment will be between 700-1000 words. Please submit assignment to Turnitin dropbox.
Option 2: This is an assignment that I have done in a U.S. history course. It’s fall more into the category of project-based learning. It’s not for every class. You have to get a feel for the class in order to know if it’s something the students would enjoy.
Create a graphic short-story: You are a young merchant in Genoa, Italy. An illness like nothing before has infected your city. One eventing, during a routine inventory of a ship, you find a small crate from an unfamiliar place. The postmark reads: Abraham Lincoln, United States, 1863.
This would be the major assignment for a semester course. Students would blend historical detail, creative writing, and artwork into an original product. Students would be able to use a writing partner. The end product would be a storyboard, similar to what would be used to pitch an a
How do you explain a plague that decimated Europe, the center of Christendom? Those who suffered and survived the Black Death wrestled with this question. Using contemporary accounts from the period, create a narrative of the Black Death. The assignment should include a variety of voices and be written in a journal-like style, as someone recording events as they unfold.
Accounts from Black Death
primary sources black death
Two short answer questions:
- Describe the role fake news played in the last election. You will need to refer to the readings on the website.
- Explain the checks and balances of the Constitution. Use the examples of impeachment vox video we watched yesterday.
- Red States
- Blue States
- Mainstream media
- Supreme Court
- Judicial Review
- electoral college
- swing states
UPFRONT relations with Russia
- A better relationship with Russia could mean the countries working together to improve on some major problems in the world. What are some of the potential areas of cooperation between the two countries?
- Describe Russia after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. How did this enable (help) Putin come to power?
- What are some of the things that have happened to Putin’s rivals/critics?
- Ukraine. What is the issue there?
- What is NATO?
- Describe the Hacking and Russia’s attempts to influence the 2016 presidential election.
Slate article on the portrayal of suicide
This is a long article, but I also feel like it’s something that will start a conversation. Describe some of the criticism of the series noted in the article.
Turn this in at the end of the period.